Below are several downloadable documents about Retro-Line:
Retro-Line is an internal heat tracing system designed to provide freeze protection of existing (CSA 75 PSI or CSA 100 PSI) polyethylene water supply line without their removal. Retro-Line can also be ordered with a male adapter I.P. fitting to fit pipes other than polyethylene. In order to make Retro-Line easy to install, Heat-Line developed a unique dispensing system called "Retro-Reel" to deploy the product with absolute ease, while protecting it from mechanical injury during installation. Retro-Line can be used in a variety of water supply pipe applications including, cottages, homes, resorts and farms. Insulation and an optional thermostat can be used to optimize energy efficiency. If poly pipe supplied from Heat-Line is desired, see CARAPACE.
A special benefit of Retro-Line often overlooked, is the fact that entire piping systems can be pre-installed and tailored to size, prior to determining Retro-Line length. An example of this flexibility would be; purchasing and installing 200 feet of pipe to the intake or pump location deep in the lake. After this is accomplished the required length of Retro-Line can be measured and installed to freeze-protect the pipe to a point below the lake ice near the shoreline. In other words, 200 feet of pipe may be installed, while only 100 feet requires freeze-protection.
Retro-Line is an internal heat tracing system designed to provide freeze protection for existing water supply lines. Retro-Line is also a common solution to freeze protect sump pump lines. Heat-Line recommends Retro-Line to be installed in certified water pipes with pressure systems below 75 PSI. In a high pressure or constant pressure system see CARAPACE.
Retro-Line can be used in lake, river, drilled or dug well applications. In a lake application, the internal heating cable should terminate in the lake at a minimum depth of 6' from LOW water mark. This is to be certain the pipe will be freeze protected below ice level to maintain free-flowing water within the pipes entire length. In areas where the recommended depth cannot be reached, contact Heat-Line for advice. A dug shore well, or other methods may be considered - check with local ministries, and authorities.
In a dug well application, the heating cable can pass through the length of the pipe down to the pump or foot valve as required. Care must be given not to pass the heating cable through foreign fittings with internal burrs. These fittings should be replaced with products furnished by Heat-Line.
In a drilled well application, the heater can run the length of the pipe, but cannot enter the pitless adapter or it may sustain damage. If the pitless adapter is above grade, Heat-Line suggests installing a well tile around the steel well casing and filling with earth. There are other methods of protecting these applications; consult Heat-Line for specific application requirements.
In applications where pipes will be exposed to atmosphere (free air), installed over rocky terrain or under buildings, insulation is required to maintain heat within the pipe and ensure energy efficiency and reliability.
Benefits of Retro-Line
- cCSAus approved (Canada and USA)
- 120 Volt systems - 3watt /ft. at 50°F maximum length of 250 ft.
- 240 Volt systems - 3watt/ft. at 50°F maximum length 550 ft.
- 27 milliamp ground fault circuit interrupter plug-in device
Included in a Retro-Line system
- cCSAus approved (Canada and USA)
- 5 year limited warranty
- Most reliable and energy efficient system on the market
- Job-ready based on specific freeze protection requirements
- Poly pipe can be installed and tailored to suit requirements before Retro-Line length is determined, allowing installation flexibility
- Can be used with any type of control device including timers and thermostats
- Can be buried and/or fully insulated to increase energy efficiency
- No need to excavate below the frost line, thus saving costs on installation.
- Will never melt or burnout a water pipe, even if the pipe is dry.
- Retro-Line can be easily installed in most existing polyethylene pipes, without their removal.
- Fast Installation - Retro-Line comes ready to use, on a special patented dispensing reel, which provides excellent installation performance.
- Retro-Line is available to fit existing polyethylene pipes from ¾" up to 2" in size.
- Philmac® compression fittings ensure pressure connections are simple, secure and leak proof.
- Available in lengths from 6' to 550'
- Ground fault protection is integral to the system.
- Simply plugs into a 120V or 240V receptacle. No extra electrical work is required.
- No other product combines these features and offers the reliability of Retro-Line
- Specified length of self-regulating heating cable
- Compression style fitting available from ¾" to 2" (Internal Diameter) to interface with existing water supply system
- 27 milliamp GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) electrical plug in device